To become a funny motivational speaker, one has to look at the world through goofy glasses. When we do this we get lots of material that can be woven into a humorous story that can help our audience relate to us and in turn, learn from. The best stories come from our most tumultuous times, as Judy Carter suggested during Laugh Lab. I am just now in the middle of one of these times because not only have I moved to a new place of residence but I'm starting a new chapter in my life as well. Glad I didn't forget my goofy glasses that have let me observe my transitions in a comical way. I’d like to share a few of them with you.
You know you’re finally getting settled in a new place when:
- You find the perfect window and light for plucking errant facial hairs
- You automatically flick the right light switch out of three
- Your keys are always in the same resting place
- A smile creeps across your face when you turn onto your new street
- Your bathroom drawer finally has all the floss, aspirin, soap, and toothpaste you need for basic hygiene
- You’ve tossed out your first clump of rotten cilantro from the vegetable drawer
- You get a happy feeling in your heart when you pull up into the driveway
- You’ve figured out the measurement for perfect coffee in your new coffee pot
- You finally pull open the right drawer for your short sleeved T-shirts
- As you open the front door and step inside, this comes out of your mouth, “Ahhhhh”
In order to improve the lives of others we have to improve our own lives first. I’m happy to be on this new journey with the support and friendship of all of you wonderful MSR women!!!