Is it just me or have you noticed how the Cranky Level seems to get turned up for a lot of people during the holidays? And I can certainly understand that. Do ANY of these "reasons" look familiar?
1. I HATE spending money on obligatory gifts
2. I HATE spending money. Period
3. I WANT to buy people gifts but don't have any money
4. I HATE shopping during the holidays
5. Everyone has lost the true meaning of the holidays anyway
6. This means Uncle Festus will be coming over and he's worse than a root canal
7. Growing up in my house was a disaster every holiday season – I've got some bad associations
8. It's hard to be happy when there are so many cranky people all over the place
Oh, the list could go on and on, right? And what we have grown to believe is well…NUMBER 8! That WE can't be happy with all those idiots out there! And THAT isn't true!
Well, correction. It actually IS true – if you SAY it is.
So how do we remain happy inspite of it all? Try some of these on for size:
1. DON'T spend money! Give gifts of your time, service and cost-free creativity! (see Colette Carlson's fabulous blog)
2. If you do have to shop – go during off hours or shop online.
3. You can't fix other people's attitude if they have lost the true meaning of the holidays. You CAN fix yours
4. REFUSE to let Uncle Festus bring you down! Hug him, kiss him, tickle him, tell him jokes, sing to him, dance with him. For YOUR fun! If he buys in great – if not, you'll have a fabulous story to tell your friends later. Plus the look of shock on his face will be worth it.
5. If you grew up in a home where the holidays were not so wonderful (that would be mine), DON'T GIVE THE MEMORIES IN YOUR BRAIN ONE SINGLE MORE HOLIDAY TO SCREW UP! You are, you know. By blaming the past, you are abdicating your power to create EXACTLYL what you want to create.
6. To stay happy when others are determined to be cranky, keep your focus. Focus on what you are grateful for, on your friends, family and loved ones, on your cookies that are AMAZING, on your nail polish job which was brilliant (if you say so yourself), on the fact that you live in America! The list is endless.
So repeat after me: "I am SOOOOO happy!" Yes! Yes! Say it right out loud! To ANYONE who asks you!! And when they ask why – you can show them your polish job.
From your Motivational Speaker, Linda Larsen – Happy because she says so…