At the start of every new year, many people make resolutions and set goals. They decide on specifics, write things down, maybe even take some action – and then hope for the best. As a motivational speaker, I talk a lot about achieving dreams and goals. But there is a law of physics that basically says that you can't put two objects in the same space. If your suitcase is full and you want to put more in it – you'd better take something out to make room for the new thing.
I know that many times in my life – I have tried to bring in something good – something wonderful and amazing and FABULOUS – without FIRST letting something go that did NOT serve me. In other words, I forgot to make some room for that new thing. Then when the new thing never came, I sat around and wondered why.
Here are some examples that you might look at in your life
1. If you want a healthy, mutually loving and supportive love relationship – you might need to let go of your need to always be right
2. If you want a successful business – you might need to let go of your habit of spending time watching television or on Facebook or hanging out with your friends
3. If you want respect from your boss – you might need to let go of your tendency to blame other people when things go wrong
4. If you want better health – you might need to let go of sugar or alcohol or cigarettes
5. If you want to finally write that book – you might need to let go of your fear that it won't be perfect enough
So now when you make YOUR list of goals for 2013 – why not also make a list of what you would like to give up in order to make room for that new and FABULOUS thing!
Okay, I've gotta run. Since I'm going on a fantastic holiday this year with my Weather Muffin – I'm starting RIGHT NOW to let go of my reluctance to make those cold calls in order to get more business and earn the money for the trip!