Packed, organized, mobile phone “apped-out” for ease of travel and out the door to catch my ride to the airport. What a breeze! Oops, thought of everything but food. That NEVER happens! I didn’t become a motivational speaker on health and wellness without a long history of eating healthy and exercising, you know. Some might say that I’m obsessed with thinking about food. I say it’s just at the top of my priority list everyday. Every day except today.
No worries, I’ll grab the healthiest choices at the airport(s).
- Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with a decent amount of lettuce: 1,056 mg sodium! That’s almost a day’s worth. (1,800 mg per day is ideal)
- Fiji water: $4.59! Switched to bottled tap water for $2.59
- Delicious Apple: $1.75 Really small, waxed and wrapped in plastic, probably picked back in August, been in cold storage ever since.
Made it to the hotel where I had a couple of hungry hours until dinner with my host.
- Cliff Protein Bar: 20 grams of added sugar (24 grams p/day recommended)
- Weak hotel room coffee in styrofoam cup (Wait, doesn’t that cause cancer??)
Treated to a delicious yet teriyaki-slathered dinner of salmon, green beans, brown rice and green tea. I don’t even want to know the sodium content here. Needed more bottled tap water to dilute.
Finally ended the day of unplanned eating in the best possible way: two 70% dark chocolate Ghirardelli squares (so what if one of the gift bags was shorted 2 chocolates). No complaints with this one.
The lesson: In order to bring our best, balanced selves to any speaking event, it’s imperative that we place healthy foods at the top of our packing list. The consequences can be high in sodium, sugar and price tag.
In Health! Puffed Up Polly