I suppose ALL motivational speakers on the planet talk about how to get what you want out of life and work, but I personally want to hear more about how to change my ineffective behaviors. You know, the ones that I am clear do not serve me, but that I just seem to keep on doing. Ones like…oh, I don't know…eating sugar. How about that one. And instead of looking at what I SHOULD be doing to change this crappy behavior, let me look at what I am doing that is keeping me stuck. Then maybe I can do the opposite. So, if you are interested in changing some self-destructive habit, here's what may be keeping you stuck:
- Argue for your limitations. If you do, they are yours. "But I have an addiction to sugar! THAT'S why I can't stop eating it!" Okay, good to know. It's now yours for life.
- Blame other people. LOVE this one! It absolves you of all responsibility! "I COULD stop sugar, but YOU keep bringing stuff into the house!" Oh…you poor little victim, you.
- Rationalize and deny. Ever heard yourself say, "Well, it's not THAT bad." Uh, yes. It is. Your butt's as big as a snow plow. Get a three-way mirror.
- Don't Think Ahead. Going to a party? Do NOT fill up on veggies and lean protein before you leave. Go really, really hungry so you'll eat anything and everything that comes within a 10 foot radius of you as you walk in the door.
- Focus on the problem. Do NOT think about a solution. Do NOT put a picture in your mind of how glorious you will feel when you've overcome the problem. ONLY think about how awful, difficult and miserable this is – and how hopeless, pitiful and weak you are. Wallow in it. Ooooooh. That feels good, right?
- Wait to get started until tomorrow. Or Monday. Or on the 1st of January. Or when the moon is in Jupiter. Motivational speaker Kelly Swanson NAILED this one in her fabulous post about her Journey to a Healthier Ever After.
So this is the start of my list. I'm sure there's more, but for right now, I'm going to focus on doing the OPPOSITE of everything on this list.
Gotta run. I need to go scope out my butt. Wait. That didn't sound right…