Okay. That's a big promise. And while many motivational speakers (myself included) are given to hyperbole, I really believe if we do this one little thing, we can actually be on time, all the time. And if not ALL the time, at the very least a whole lot more than we are right now.
To begin with, here's what we usually do wrong (or at least I certainly do.) We calculate the amount of time we need to get ready, travel and arrive somewhere on time, based on, and here it comes, EVERYTHING GOING RIGHT. I don't know if you've noticed but – it seldom does. Any of this look familiar?
- You forgot – the dog needs a quick walk
- Your hairdryer overheats and stops working
- You cannot find the damned car keys
- The phone rings as you are heading out the door and you just KNOW it's that call you've been waiting for
- You splatter toothpaste on your shirt that you were planning to wear
- Every flipiping red light in town catches you
- You get behind the slowest idiot in the world
- You cannot find a parking place
- And on and on and on…
So here's the moral of the story. Add 10 – 20% more time to your estimate of how long you think it will take for you to get ready and get somewhere. AND (and this is the really, really important part) do NOT tell yourself something like, "Oh! I've added more time to my estimate so I have time to water the plants (fold the clothes, tweeze my eyebrows, wallpaper the bathroom) before I go."
And one huge benefit here. You will arrive at your destination calm and relaxed with a happy smile on your face. Now THAT'S worth the investment of a few extra minutes, don't you think?