One of the opening statements I make during the “fitness” portion of my presentations as a motivational speaker on health is this: “The human body is meant for movement! Our modern epidemic of diseases: heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers, are rooted in our sedentary lifestyle. The good news is that you don’t have to train for a triathalon in order to reduce these risks, just ANY kind of movement on a daily basis will do!” So when I found this article in Shape Magazine on what daily activities burn how many calories I thought it was a good list to share. It supports my point that we all just need to be aware of how long a time we might be sitting and inactive at our desk or on the couch and get up every hour on the hour and SHAKE THAT GROOVE THING to stay healthy and keep those diseases at bay!
- Have A Dance Party of One – Celebrate a good day or bust out of a funk from a bad one by shaking your groove thing all around your house to your favorite music for 45 minutes. Goodbye 284 calories
- Do Hard Labor – Heard of Crossfit? Turn everyday yard work into a workout: Use a push mower, lift heavy bags of mulch, work the wheelbarrow, pull the hose around, and yank weeds or plant flowers. Constantly moving outside will burn 258 calories in 45 minutes
- Bowl With It – When was the last time you went to the alley? Take the girls (your girlfriends, your daughters, your nieces, your boobs) out bowling tonight! Just 90 minutes will incinerate almost 300 calories, plus it’ll do wonders for your arms.
- Skip The Treadmill – Mix up your cardio while working muscles from head to toe by hopping on a rowing machine: Thirty seconds at high intensity alternated with 60 seconds at moderate speed for 30 minutes total will torch 250 calories.
- Have An Active Dessert – Give your body a post-dinner calorie-burning boost by taking a walk around your neighborhood or in a local park. Walking at a moderate pace for an hour burns 277 calories, plus being out in nature helps relieve stress that’s built up during the day. Hey Kelly, we forgot to do our “Lunch Cole Slaw” walk!!
- Cram In Some Cardio – When you’re crunched for time at the gym, give yourself 25 minutes and perform this circuit as many times as you can—bonus if you don’t take breaks. Do each exercise for 1 minute, performing as many reps as possible and running as fast as possible: Pushups, Squat jumps, Burpees ,Split squats, 1/4-mile treadmill run. Good riddance 250-350 calories!
- Free Wheel It – Two wheels are better than four, at least when it comes to running errands or commuting to work. A half-hour bike ride burns 277 calories
And the most unpopular one:
- Tidy Up To Tone Up – If you’ve been putting off cleaning your house or apartment, perhaps this will motivate you: Eighty minutes of nonstop work—moving furniture to vacuum, cleaning corners (including ceiling crevices), scrubbing hard, you get the picture—will negate about 250 calories
So let's take the work "exercise" out of our vocabulary and replace it with "movement" to spread a more realistic message of health!