When I'm up on stage delivering my passionate healthy motivational speaker speech on the importance of eating nuts and seeds everyday, I've had no idea this whole time about the powerhouses that these particular little chia seeds posess! Most of us have known them only as a novelty Christmas gift idea. I've given a couple of them to my boys when they were younger. I should have gone with my instinct and clipped the grassy sprouts and thrown them in a salad! Here's an amazing list of stats.
Every 1 Tablespoon (15 gram) of Chia contains:
- 2X more potassium than bananas
- 3X more fiber than oats
- 5X more folate than spinach
- 6X more calcium than whole milk
- 6X more iron than kidney beans
- 8X more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon (nutrient comparisons are gram for gram)
I KNOW, RIGHT??? Talk about adding a boost to what you're already eating! Run, don't walk and buy some of these mother nature dynamos and sprinkle a tablespoon in your yogurt, in your smoothie, on your salad or in a sauce!