Just last week, I posted a comment on Facebook about how annoyed I had become about the barrage of emails I get from unsolicited programs, companies and organizations. I then went on to bitch about how annoying it is to try to unsubscribe from these lists only to receive yet another email letting you know that you have just unsubscribed. The comments to this post started to pour in with 99% of them agreeing with me — we all deal with these kind of problems, right? Well, it was that one comment — the other 1% — that gave me a harsh, yet inspiring, reality check. This post simply shared the following video…
As a motivational speaker, I empower people to intervene in real problems such as bullying, hazing, drug and alcohol abuse, sexual violence and discrimination. I personally know about real problems and have made it my mission to eradicate them. However, this video shows me that I, like most of us, find myself focusing on my own petty problems like too many emails, travel delays, and the barista at Starbucks getting my name wrong.
The more I focus on these small problems, the less I am able to be aware and awake to the real problems I am out to eradicate in this world. The more I focus on me, the less I am able to focus on supporting others and keeping them safe, protected, and cared for. The more I focus on my own petty annoyances, the less I am able to tap into my own moral compass and gut instinct to take necessary action for others and be an everyday hero.
This video has made an indelible impression on my mind and helped me change my perspective. I distinctly remember several times the last couple of days where I was on the edge of getting really annoyed by something, then I remembered the message of this video. I stopped. I thought. Then, I intervened in my own petty problems in honor of what I am really out to cause in this world.
Will you join with me in focusing on the real problems we have in our society? If so, please take the Every|Day Hero pledge. I will support you in fulfilling this pledge in your life by going beyond being a bystander and equipped to take action for someone in a moment of need.
Let's build a bridge and get over it…together.